热门搜索：如何备考GRE GRE填空 GRE数学机经 GRE模考
1. Reading chunks of Shapiro’s verse in one sitting, it must be said, exposes the _____ nature of his writing: scads of poems are too glancing to strike a nerve, scarcely worth a second reading.
填空对应：glancing, scarcely worth a second reading
2. The painter’s problem, like that of an author whose early literary masterpiece exhausts the themes it embodies, is how to _____ his first highly acclaimed efforts with works of comparable significance and presence.
3. Harper’s draw, while (i)_____ in the United States for years, has remained (ii)_____ in London, where the public greets virtually every work with unabashed enthusiasm.
A. in eclipse D. controversial
B. unrivaled E. unsurpassed
C. unchanged F. unexceptional
填空对应：greets virtually... with unabashed enthusiasm
词汇：in eclipse 黯然失色
4. Even if the merits of the proposal are (i)_____, faculty members may be reluctant to (ii)_____, given their fear of offending the group that champions it.
A. unparalleled D. demur
B. dubious E. approve
C. obvious F. acquiesce
填空对应：fear of offending - reluctant to blank ii - blank i;
5. Until now, old snapshots and home movies faded and crumbled and were eventually (i)_____. Only a few precious mementos were preserved and passed along. But as photography moves into the digital realm, family albums and home videos see capable of (ii)_____: our capacity to store them is, for all practical purposes, approaching the infinite. Is such a transformation a good thing? The natural world teaches us that (iii)_____ are vital to ecological health. Does a similar principle apply to communal memory?
A. archived D. transmission G. death and decay
B. discarded E. immortality H. predator and prey
C. reproduced F. revolution I. reproduction and renewal
填空对应：crumble - blank i; infinite - blank ii; blank i -blank iii;
Death and decay 死亡和衰退
Predator and prey 捕食者和被捕食者
Reproduction and renewal 繁殖和更新
6. In medieval Europe, watermills were more (i)_____ than windmills. It is true that windmills could be built virtually anywhere, whereas watermills (ii)_____. However, watermills’ greater capacity and reliability provided a better (iii)_____ the money required to build the mill.
A. problematic D. were suitable only for certain locations G. source of
B. profitable E. inspired a variety of new technologies H. adjunct to
C. versatile F. required a good deal of upkeep I. return on
填空对应：built anywhere - blank ii; greater capacity and reliability - blank iii&blank i;
Were suitable only for certain locations 只适合某些地点
Inspired a variety of new technology 激发新技术
Require a good deal of upkeep 要求大量维护
Source of 来源
Adjunct to 附属
Return on 回报
7. Despite the general _____ of Roman archaeological studies toward the major cities and their monuments, archaeology has contributed much to a better understanding of rural developments in Roman territory.
Hostility - animus 敌意
Bias - orientation 偏见
8. Our mass media are much more fascinated by bad ideas or the failure of good ones than by successes: we drown in bad news—tales of how things went wrong--but we have only the most_____ discussion on how they might go right.
Cursory - perfunctory 粗略的
9. A few decades ago the idea of animal morality would have been met with _____; however, recent research suggests that animals not only act altruistically but also have the capacity for
empathy, forgiveness, trust, and reciprocity.
填空对应：not only act altruistically but also...empathy...
词汇：derision - ridicule 嘲笑
10. At first, most of the famous fairy tales seem so implausible and so irrelevant to contemporary life that their _____ is hard to understand.
Persistence - survival 留存
Ephemerality - transience短暂