热门搜索：如何备考GRE GRE填空 GRE数学机经 GRE模考
1. The nineteenth-century legislator Robert Barnwell Rhett was known for using language so intemperate that even in an era of considerable political ______, it came almost to occupy a category of its own.
逻辑关系提示词：so... that ...取同
2. Throughout the High Middle Ages, the English government became increasingly ______: the documents produced in the eleventh century could be placed on one large table, while the documents produced in the thirteenth fill whole rooms.
3. Some have challenged scientists who attribute the surge in amphibian deaths to habitat loss, since numerous populations have (i)_____ in protected parks and nature reserved—even in remote wilderness areas: places that are removed from humans’ modern effluvium and that are presumably (ii)_____ such effects.
A. rebounded D. preserved with
B. stabilized E. insulated from
C. declined F. enhanced by
填空对应：loss - blank i;remote wilderness areas - blank ii;
Preserved with 保留
Insulated from 孤立
Enhanced by 增强
4. Though nations no longer (i)_____ nuclear physicists—the men and women who once delivered the destructive power of the atom bomb—physics still has the same power to (ii)_____ but in another way, by revealing the basic truths that underpin reality.
A. compete for D. produce awe
B. worry about E. incite debates
C. cower before F. challenge orthodoxy
Worry about 担心
Cower before 畏缩
Incite debates 引起争论
Challenge orthodoxy 挑战正统
5. Those who blame the inadequacies of science education for students’ lack of reasoning skills perpetuate their productive notion of science as (i)_____, unique in its capacity to inoculate us against superstition and ignorance. Certainly a good science education can (ii)_____ habits of mind, but the (iii)_____ effect of education in nonscientific, humanistic subjects such as literature and history should not be underrated.
A. vocational D. counter uncritical G. unforeseen
B. empirical E. discourage rigorous H. salutary
C. salvational F. temper creative I. pedestrain
填空对应：unique... - blank i;good - blank ii - blank iii
Counter uncritical 促进批判
Discourage rigorous 阻止严格
Temper creative 缓和创造
6. Media stories about climate regularly use spokespeople from interest groups as sources, but what those individuals say is often (i)_____, citing results from scientific research in a highly(ii)_____ manner and (iii)_____ the caveats that are part of a full scientific assessment.
A. ingenuous D. erudite G. parsing
B. maladroit E. selective H. omitting
C. tendentious F. perspicuous I. anticipating
填空对应：句末that从句 - blank ii&iii - blank i;
7. It is an ironic reversal that just those politicians who most vociferously _____ the distorting complexities of the country’s tax system are now the ones embracing an agreement that worsens the mess.
填空对应：embracing an agreement
Disregarded - ignored 无视
8. There is very little _____ in culture: an art form or a practice (or a language or an institution) can become extinct in a generation if it does not evolve.
填空对应：extinct if it does not evolve
词汇：inertia - stasis 静止
9. Climate change without the Arctic is a recognized _____ change elsewhere: around the world, ocean levels and daily weather are interconnected with the fortunes of a region that was, until recently, largely ignored.
A. catalyst for
B. factor in
C. measure of
D. outcome of
E. metaphor for
F. index of
词汇：catalyst - factor 因素
10. In spite of being one of the world’s biggest _____ of fossil fuels, the firm has made some environmentally responsible investments.
逻辑关系提示词：in spite of，取反
Purveyor - supplier 提供者，承办者
Disparager - maligner毁谤者